Saturday, October 5, 2013

Help others by helping yourself.

     "When you focus on doing more, your goal is to seek always to help other people-- not yourself. But one of our power influencers offers a practical suggestion for helping other by helping yourself.

     Larry Senn--chairman of Senn Delaney, an international firm focused on shaping organizational culture-- says you can do more for the people in your life by making a stronger commitment to keeping yourself healthy.
     This may sound self-serving at first, but it's not. When you're in good shape, you're better able to take care of your family and you're more likely to be around to positively influence their lives in the future. And when you're healthy, you have more energy and mental clarity so you make better decisions both at work and at home.
     Larry practices what he preaches. At age 70, he started doing Spring-triathlons. He's now 76 years old, and runs six triathlons per year.
     He says, 'It all ties back to purpose. My highest purpose is my family. I have a huge obligation to be able to keep healthy for them, and I need to do an exemplary job of taking care of myself. I need also to do an exemplary job for my clients, and to serve them well I need to be at the top of my game, which requires discipline in terms of fitness and diet and growth and evolution as a person.'
     By the way, Larry often wins in his age group when he runs triathlons. This year he won in Long Beach, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, and San Diego. 'I'm not fast, but there aren't many guys left in my bracket!' he jokes. 'In these triathlons they paint your age in giant letters on your calf, and I get lots of comments. It's fun to pass guys in their 20's and 30's on my bike and hear them say, 'Wow! Go for it!'"

                                                                     From Real Influence by Mark Goulston and John Ullmen


No comments:

Post a Comment